Traditional fences sometimes can’t just cut it for dogs, especially if you have a cunning, large breed. They will always find a way to penetrate the physical fence and escape out of your yard, which can be a big risk for your pup.
Installing the best in-ground dog fence for large dogs can help contain your pet without having to spend huge sums of money in installing and repairing a physical hedge every few days.
Also known as underground fences or invisible fences, these complete pet containment kits often come with training flags, a collar receiver, wire to bury under the ground, probes, and a digital transmitter.
After training your pooch for a couple of weeks, you can leave the fence to administer mild static correction whenever your dog goes beyond the set boundaries. Below is our list of the best in-ground dog fences for large dog breeds:
Best Inground Customizable Dog Fences
Quick Comparison of Top 5 Customizable Inground Dog Fences
|Brand||Product Name||Editor's Pick||Price||Rating|
|Extreme Dog Fence – Second Generation -2020 (Professional Grade)||Best For Sloped Yards||$$$||4.5|
|Extreme Dog Fence – Second Generation -2020- (Standard Grade)||Best For Reliability||$$||4.3|
|SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence Systems||Best for Large Yards (100 Acres)||$$||4.5|
|PetSafe Rechargeable In-Ground Fence For Dogs And Cats||Best For Quick Training||$||4.5|
|PetControl HQ Combo Electric Fence System||Best For Customization||$||4.0|
1: Best for Sloped Yards: Extreme Dog Fence – Second Generation -2020 (Professional Grade)
The Extreme Dog Fence – Second Generation – 2020 (Professional Grade) is the perfect dog containment system that gives your pet all the freedom to roam your property while remaining safely within the set boundaries.
It’s the premier DIY static correction system for dog owners with expansive properties of up to 100 acres.
The eXtreme Dog Fence Professional grade is a step above the Standard Grade kit. It comes with several impressive packs, including the high-quality, long-lasting 14-gauge wire.
With its unmatched durability, you don’t even need to bury the wire, making it a great choice for someone seeking to run the wire along an existing fence. You can also simply tack the wire to the top of the ground.
The system also comes with a twisted wire with a surge protector (after you register your fence with the manufacturer). Unlike other wireless fence systems on our list, this electric dog fence kit is actually manufactured in the USA.
It is designed to safely contain two dogs on up to one acre without extra items. But, you can purchase additional 14-gauge wires to cover up to 10 acres and extra collars to contain an unlimited number of dogs.
- The 2nd Generation eXtreme PRO GRADE System Easily Covers up to 10 Acres.
- Updated Electronics with 3 Antennas, Temp Check, Wire Check, and 12x Battery Check
- Waterproof and Submersible
- Pro Grade Fence Kit Includes 16 Gauge Twisted Wire, 14 Gauge Heavy Duty Boundary Wire, Digital Transmitter, Collar Receiver(s) w/ Battery, Splice Kits, Training Flags, and 10 Staples.
- Includes a 1 Year Warranty
- Proudly Manufactured in the US
2: Best for Reliability: Extreme Dog Fence – Second Generation -2020- (Standard Grade)
The eXtreme Dog Fence (Standard Grade) is designed to offer pet containment on up to 6 acres of coverage. The premiere DIY kit comes with everything you need to safely contain one dog on up 1/3 acre.
By purchasing additional 20-gauge dog fence wires, the transmitter can cover up to 6 acres. As long as you purchase additional collars, there is no limit to the number of pets you can contain with this system.
Each collar’s correction strength is programmed individually, with 1 beep only alert and 7 correction levels based on each dog’s individual need. The collar is extremely waterproof and submersible up to 10 inches deep, meaning that your pup can safely swim with the collar without compromising its functionality.
- The 2nd Generation eXtreme STANDARD GRADE System Covers Up to 6 Acres.
- Updated Electronics are Designed to be Compatible with New Collar Options
- Features 3 Antennas, 12x Battery Check, +More
- Waterproof and Submersible
- Standard Fence Kit Comes With 20 Gauge High Tensile Boundary Wire with Premium Protective Jacket, Collar Receiver(s) with Battery, Digital Transmitter, Training Flags, and Splice Kits.
- Includes a 1 Year Warranty
- Proudly Manufactured in the US
3: Best for Large Yards (100 Acres): SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence Systems
This is another incredible invisible dog fence from the Parent Company of INVISIBLE FENCE Brand. It features a small, sleek collar receiver powered by a lithium-ion battery that charges in just two hours and offers a 1-2 months battery life.
The system features seven levels of static stimulation and Vibration and tone, making it easier than ever to keep your furry friend safe and secure.
With 100 flags and 1, 000 feet of wire included, this system can secure an area as large as 1 1/3 acres (up to 100 acres when you purchase additional wires and flags).
If you want to contain several pets, simply purchase additional collars. The collar also features a dryer that makes it waterproof and submersible for up to 25 feet.
The anti-linger functionality prevents dogs from staying in the warning zone for several minutes, which can drain the collar battery.
With a 2-years manufacturer warranty, you can have confidence that this in-ground fence is designed to withstand outdoor elements, including rain, heat, cold, snow, mud, dust, and wind.
- The Easy-to-install containment kit covers 1 1/3 acres of land for a single dog.
- It can be expanded to cover 100 acres with extra wire and flags (SDF-wf)
- Rechargeable collar with lithium-ion batteries with 2-hour quick charge and 1-2 months battery life
- Waterproof and submersible up to 25 ft.
- Unlimited number of dogs with extra collars
- Fits dogs weighing 10 lb. and up
- Collar Generates Tone (beep) and vibration (Buzz) warning before sending one of seven static stimulation levels
- Transmitter features built-in wire break alarm and Lightning Protector
- Two-year manufacturer’s warranty
4: Best for Quick Training: PetSafe Rechargeable In-Ground Fence for Dogs and Cats
This is another impressive invisible dog fence from PetSafe. The Rechargeable In-Ground Pet Fence allows your pets to play safely in the yard and offers maximum coverage of 25 acres.
It’s recommended for dogs as well as cats weighing over 5 pounds and older than six months. The collar is waterproof and comes with a Lithium-ion rechargeable battery that lasts about 3-5 years depending on your level of care and maintenance.
With this single invisible dog fence, you can contain an unlimited number of pets by simply purchasing additional compatible collars. Whether you aim to contain your pets within the yard or you simply want to train them, this rechargeable in-ground fence does both.
You can also choose between a static and tone correction mode. It works by giving a warning beep sound or emitting a low shock every time your pooch approaches the edge. You can expect your dog to be fully trained in just two weeks.
If you won’t choose the PetSafe Rechargeable In-Ground Fence for any other feature, then the fact that it’s completely invisible and safe for pets will most likely convince you. Your dog can enjoy swimming or playing in the rain with the collar on since it’s entirely waterproof.
Overall, this invisible dog fence is easy to use and offers great value for money.
- Safe and Customizable
- Up to 1/3 acre coverage but expandable up to 25 acres with extra wires and flags
- Rechargeable, waterproof receiver collar
- Adjustable receiver collar
- You can add unlimited pets
- Inbuilt surge protector
- Guaranteed Quality
5: Best for Customization: PetControl HQ Combo electric Fence system
The Combo Electric Dog Fence System from PetControl HQ is a diligently designed product that works great at teaching dogs where safe boundaries are. It covers up to 429 feet and can be used to restrain up to three dogs simultaneously. All you need is to purchase extra adjustable dog collars.
This product provides a completely safe and humane way to discipline pets. It won’t harm your dog but keep him away from dangerous areas such as busy roads with speeding cars, pools, and off-limit zones like your neighbor’s yard or garden.
The product comes with a rechargeable and waterproof collar. It reduces any possibility of chewing wires since its heavy and robust.
The invisible fence has three automatic static correction levels plus 10 levels of vibration and correction. You can switch to tone-only mode once your dog has mastered the boundaries, and the anti-bark system is fully under your control.
Moreover, the system comes with a 12-month Warranty with the possibility to choose a 3 or 4-year protection plan. This simple-to-command wired dog fence allows you to spend quality time with your dog rather than disciplining him.
The collar is also rechargeable, so you can forget about buying batteries periodically. It fits different dog neck sizes (8-27 inches), making it certainly worth the money.
- Replacement collar stops unpleasant behaviors fast.
- Sends a safe, humane correction that works
- The rechargeable batteries can last up to 7 days before a recharge
- It comes with one extra IPX7 waterproof collar for outdoor adventure
- Adjustable collar fits dogs of all sizes
6. Best Budget: Earlyhights Underground Electric Outdoor Dog Containment Fence
The Earlyhights Underground Electric Outdoor Dog Containment Fence is a 2-dog system, which may be used by medium and large dogs, especially those that weigh more than 5 pounds. The collar can get fully charged within 2 hours, and your dog can often make use of the fenceless yard for their play.
- It has two collars that can be adjusted to fit your dog even as they grow.
- An advanced system that covers a large space of up to 5 acres
- It has an easy and quick collar charge.
Types of Invisible Dog Fences
There are two common types of “Invisible Dog Fences:” the wired underground fences and the wireless fences. The wired underground fences are dug beneath the ground and connected to a transmitter inside the house and tuned in with the dog collar (receiver).
The wireless fences use a transmitter inside the house to send radio waves to the dog collar (receiver), setting the boundaries as desired.
Related Reading: Best Custom Shape Wireless Dog Fences
The decision on which type of invisible dog fence system to select depends on your individual situation and preference. Here are the pros and cons of wired dog fences and wireless dog fences to help you make an informed choice:
Pros of Wired Dog Fence Systems
- You can define and customize the size and shape of your boundary
- The boundary remains stable as long as you can bury a continuous wire
- Stable signal transmission
Cons of Wired Dog Fence Systems
- You need to dig up your garden to bury the wire
- It’s a permanent installation – It’s difficult to move the boundary once installed
Pros of Wireless Dog Fence Systems
- Easy to install – You simply plug it in and define the boundary parameters
- Portable – You can take it with you whenever you move houses or go camping
Cons of Wireless Dog Fence Systems
- Only circular boundary, although customizable designs are now coming into the market
- Environment-dependent – Trees, bushes, or hills can make it difficult to create an effective boundary since radio waves travel in a straight line.
In terms of costs, wired systems are cheaper for a small installation, especially if you are doing it yourself. But if your property is expansive, wired systems can be more expensive since you’ll need to hire someone to dig up a trench, and the cost of purchasing extra wires can soar.
A wired system is also costlier to maintain. If there is any fault, you will need to dig up the garden each time to retrieve the wire. So, there are several reasons why many dog owners are turning to wireless dog fences for restraining their pets.
Dr. Belinda Hawks earned her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from Colorado State University in 2006 and has been practicing veterinary medicine since then. Dr. Belinda currently works as a passionate rancher and mixed animal veterinarian in a rural town in South Carolina. When not practicing veterinary medicine or writing, she spends her free time with her lovely husband and three kids (2 boys and a lovely girl) in South Carolina.